We are hearing from people around the state that there is some confusion concerning how to apply for Eagle Scout Palms. We hope this helps to clarify some of the details.
On Aug. 1, 2017, the BSA announced significant changes to the way Scouts earn Eagle Palms.
Eagle Palms are bronze, gold and silver awards presented to young men and women who earn five, 10, 15 or more merit badges beyond the 21 required to become an Eagle Scout.
Merit badges earned at any time since becoming a registered Scouts BSA member may be used. Palms are not considered ranks, but rather degrees of the Eagle Scout rank.
A Bryan on Scouting post published July 10, 2017 – before the changes took place – touches on the changes, requirements and the correct way to wear a combination of palms.
The post was updated on Oct. 25, 2017, with the BSA allowing current Eagle Scouts to receive Eagle Palms retroactively.
As of January 1, 2019, the Eagle Palm Requirements are as follows:
After successfully completing your Eagle Scout board of review on or after Aug. 1, 2017, and being validated as an Eagle Scout by the National Service Center, you will be entitled to receive an Eagle Palm for each additional five merit badges you completed before your Eagle board of review beyond those required for Eagle.
In addition, all current Scouts who have completed their Eagle board of review and who had not passed their 18th birthday before Aug. 1, 2017, are entitled as well to receive Eagle Palms.
For these Palms only, it will not be necessary for you to complete the requirements stated below.
After becoming an Eagle Scout and receiving the Eagle Palms you are entitled to, you may earn additional Palms by completing the following requirements:
- Be active in the Boy Scouts of America for at least three months after becoming an Eagle Scout or after the last Palm was earned.
- Since earning the Eagle Scout rank or your last Eagle Palm, demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath and Scout Law. Tell how you have done your duty to God and how you have lived the Scout Oath and Scout Law in your everyday life.
- Continue to set a satisfactory example of accepting responsibility or demonstrating leadership ability.
- Earn five additional merit badges beyond those required for Eagle or last Palm.
- While an Eagle Scout, participate in a Scoutmaster conference.
See PDF below for the detailed list of requirements.
See the PDF below for the Application Form, including Information & Procedures.
Palm Application Form, Information & Procedures
Feel free to contact us with any questions concerning the new policies. And please share this information so we can reach as many people with the updated details as possible.