The Value of Scouting
Families today have many options, but only Scouting provides a safe and fun atmosphere where a kid can be a kid all while preparing them to become even better adults.
The Montana Council is committed to providing a safe and cost-effective Scouting experience for all youth and families. We are working hard to keep the cost of Scouting as low as possible. We believe money should never prevent any youth from participating in Scouting. Scouts are encouraged to further finance their adventure by selling popcorn in our yearly popcorn sale. Families may also qualify for financial assistance to help with Scouting expenses.
Current Montana Council Fee Structure
- $137 / YR – Participants in Cub Scouts (Grades K-5), Scouts BSA (Ages 11-17), Venturing (Ages 14-10) and Sea Scouts (Ages 14-20)
- $85 / YR – All registered adult volunteers in unit and non-unit positions. (Volunteers with multiple registrations will continue to pay for only one position.)
- $100 / YR – All Exploring youth
- $75 / YR – All Exploring adults
- $25 / YR – For Merit Badge Counselors who are not already registered volunteers. (Merit badge counselors who are not also registered in a unit position are not allowed to attend overnight Scouting activities/events.)
- $25 one-time joining fee – The Montana Council is paying for the New Member’s one-time joining fee. This fee is waived for any application when processing a paper application at any Scout Office or by using this discount code in the online application process: MTNEW.
- Unit Charter Fee – $100 / YR
- Scout Life Magazine Fee – $15 / YR
Scouting continues to be one of the best value programs for youth and families available today. Together we are preparing young people for life and helping to build strong bonds in young families.
Beginning August 1, 2023, all new youth and adult members who join Scouting will be enrolled in a 12-month membership cycle and BSA will cease prorating fees. Both youth and adults will pay the full annual membership fee and will renew their membership on the anniversary date of joining Scouting. All proration of membership fees will be eliminated. Each registered member of the BSA will receive an email notice with a registration renewal link beginning 60 days before the anniversary date they joined Scouting. Unit leaders will receive a copy of the email and should stay engaged in the membership renewal process just like rechartering.
It is important to note, that existing members will renew their membership during their normal registration/recharter cycle through March 2024. Moving forward all members will renew on their anniversary date.
- Existing members’ Anniversary date will be their unit recharter month.
- New members’ Anniversary date will be the month they joined.
This new process will help streamline the rechartering and membership renewal process for units and councils. Additional information on this membership renewal process will be forthcoming in the very near future.