Available now in our Montana Stores is an Arrow of Light Kit.
This do-it-yourself kit contains everything you need to make your own Arrow of Light Awards! The Arrow of Light kit will save you time and money – no running around to buy all of the individual parts. It is a Scout tradition for Webelos to be presented with an Arrow of Light award (also called an Arrow of Honor award or a Career Arrow) as they graduate from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. Each kit is $16.99.
Arrow of Light Kit Includes:
- Wooden Dowels: The arrow shafts measure 24″ long x 7/16″ in diameter. They are already professionally notched out to make your job of attaching the arrowhead much easier! Wood is unfinished so you can choose to leave it as is, or finish it yourself.
- Arrowhead Replicas: stone arrowheads are hand-chipped from jasper. Arrowhead size ranges from approximately 2.25″ to 2.5″ in length and is specially made to fit into the notch in the dowels provided.
- Sinew: Artificial sinew looks realistic and makes it easy to attach the arrowhead to the arrow shaft.
- Feathers/Fletching: The 3 feathers provided are real turkey feathers that have been dyed in traditional yellow and blue scout colors. They are each 5 inches long.
- Fletching tape: Fletching tape is used to connect the feathers (or fletching) to the wood dowel and is much easier to use than glue.
- Adhesive Color Bands: Colored vinyl looks great and comes on an easy-to-peel-off sheet. Comes in appropriate 1/4″, 1/2″ and 1″ widths to indicate each scout’s individual achievements. Don’t worry! We provide a chart to help with this.
- Step by step instructions: Includes detailed instructions on how to assemble your arrows and a chart indicating which color bands apply to which ranks and awards.
Each Arrow of Light award will take around 15-20 minutes to assemble, depending on how many color bands need to be applied for each scout’s rank. The included chart will help you easily figure out what color tape to apply! Completed Arrow of Light ceremonial arrows measure approximately 26″ in length (from the end of the shaft on one side to the tip of the arrowhead on the other.)